Benefits of CSS
CSS is flexible
Styles can be written in one place (separate style sheets) and assigned to HTML elements through class or ID properties. It’s way easier and quicker to change styles across a whole site when they’re defined in one place.
CSS is Lightweight
Using CSS (like class=”main-nav”) creates far smaller HTML files than writing style into every HTML tags (like border=”1″ cellpadding=”3″ cellspacing=”1″ backgroundcolor=”#ffc”).
CSS helps separate style from content
Keeping your style definitions separate from your content and content-structure makes it possible to re-purpose the same content for different media. This includes styling pages differently for printing, as well as other user agents like voice (text-to-speech) and mobile devices.
CSS for Web Design: Contents
- Introduction to CSS
- Beginner’s introduction to Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- Inheritance and Cascading Styles in CSS
- Introduction to how styles apply in CSS through inheritance and cascading.
- Block vs Inline display style in CSS
- HTML elements can be displayed either in block or inline style. The difference between these is one of the most basic things you need to know in order to use CSS effectively.
- Keeping your content in order of priority with flexible CSS layouts.
- How to keep your most important content at the top of your page, no matter what kind of column layout you wish to achieve.
Other CSS resources
- Style Master CSS tutorial
- A very good place to get a broad overview of what CSS is and what you can do with it.
- CSS Help pile
- A great collection of links to CSS tutorials, ranging from moderate to advanced level
- A thorough reference of CSS properties, with examples.
- 40 free CSS layouts for you to use
- Multi-column, fixed or liquid layout, every combination is here, tried & tested.
- Yahoo! UI Library: Grids CSS
- (Not for beginners) Grids CSS is a suite of seven web page templates and the ability to nest grids of one to four columns within the content area of those templates. Together, the combined template and grid system enable you to implement over 100 different CSS layouts using only 1.82KB of includes.